Google
 

Sunday, July 22, 2007

I Finally Did IT!

I cut up my last "emergency" credit card. After reading page 121 in Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book, I stopped, grabbed my "emergency" card that I almost used yesterday, that has $4000 of debt on it, and I chopped it to bits. I had been reading the book, but something about that section finally spoke to me. I'm done. I have decided to "Live like no one else now so later I can live like no one else" Much thanks to JD at Get Rich Slowly for pointing out what an excellent book this is. Instead of running out and buying it I PATIENTLY waited for the library to get it back in so I could check it out! You know what is funny? I kept that stupid card around thinking it was giving me a sense of security but now I actually feel more secure. Now I can really say NO when my husband wants to buy something we don't NEED, or when a friend asks me to go out and I think... well I'll just put it on my card. I do have ONE thing to say if you are considering doing this... I do have a small emergency fund saved up right now so I have a true "emergency" fund I can use instead of having to charge it.

Wow, I'm really done. Finally done with those stupid cards.

2 comments:

Shelby T said...

Congratulations! That is great. I still have a small balance on my "emergency card". I just use it to fly my kids to Denver so they can see their dad...he flys them back. When I do pay it off, I think I will just cut it up, and then I will be forced to think ahead and save for the tickets. Have you ever heard about the trend of freezing your credit card? Apparently some people freeze their card in a big block of ice, so they have to defrost it before they can use it. It is supposed to give someone a chance to think about their impulse purchases. Keep up the good work!

Jen said...

I have heard of that. I have never done it because I know I would just stick it in the sink and run hot water over it to get my card out, lol!