Google
 

Sunday, July 29, 2007

DUH JEN!!!

Wow, do you ever have those moments where you just go, DUH?? I had one yesterday. I was looking through the back of Dave Ramsey's TMM book and there were several budget categories with astricks beside them. I figured out that it meant for you to use the envelope system for those. If you are not familiar it is very simple. Get an envelope- write a category on the outside- each month you put money in. If you don't spend that money you leave it in and put in the same amount next month. For example, you don't get your oil changed every month, but if you put away $10 a month in an envelope you will have money for when you do get it changed.

The DUH moment came when I realized that one reason I go over budget is because I don't budget for these "seemingly" small costs, but they add up. DUH, I know. But, I really never put two and two together. I always thought all of that money should be going to my debt. No wonder I have to tap into my emer fund so often. DUH DUH DUH

But, as GI Joe would say, "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!" Then he always said YO JOE... probably not as appropriate in this post.

No comments: