Google
 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Grocery Update!

I don't start the "real" experiment until next week, but I tried it out Sunday and it went pretty well! In total I spent $50.50 for a week's worth of groceries. Here are some of the things I did:

  • I went through our pantry and decided what we already had that could be used for meals.

  • I wrote down all of the meals so I would have a list to refer to.

  • At the store I bought only store brands where possible.

  • I actually did make a few impulse purchases, but they still didn't break the bank.

One thing I could have done differently was to buy store brand cookies instead of the lunch variety pack. I didn't think of it until I was out of the store and YES that was one of my impulse purchases. I could have saved $3 if I had gone with the store brand.

Now the only problem is getting myself to cook the food :)

Next time I go shopping I plan to look at the cost of making my daughter's lunch versus having her buy it at school. Last year the cost was $1.50 a day. I think it may be more now. I have to determine how many lunches I can make out of the food I buy then divide that cost by the number of lunches it makes. I will let you know what I come up with. If anyone has already done this I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Shelby T said...

Good job on the smart shopping. I used to hear my brother's wife complain all of the time that the home-made lunches for my niece were actually more expensive than school lunches. But, she knew that my niece was getting good food, and she would leave notes or whatever in there. She did not work outside the house, so she had time in the morning. But, if you need to save money, you have to look at every chance to save. For you, doesn't the child support from your ex cover that cost for your daughter? Just curious. I still have another year before I have to deal with school lunches. But I know that even though the money is supposed to go toward everything related to the kids, often it comes just when I am running low. I can't wait until the time comes where I do not have to choose between buying the kids new clothes with the support check or paying my "I paid too much for it, but I had to have it" SUV payment. Have you been there? I have to say, having someone to get ideas and inspiration from has been helpful, especially with the impulse purchases. Thanks!

Jen said...

Yeah, that payment would cover it but I am trying to find any way to save that I can. I just finished reading Total Money Makeover and I am trying to really do the debt snowball. I think he calls it "gazelle intense" or something like that.