Google
 

Sunday, July 19, 2009

No Snowball this month!

I messed up somewhere. My checking account does not have enough money in it to cover what is left to come out this month. I don't know what I did, but I have a feeling it has to do with daycare. My daycare checks generally come out of my account the Monday after I write them. However this last week nothing came out on Monday. So that means I have 3 weeks left to go and not nearly the money to cover it.

Now, I DO have money to cover it, but I will have to take it out of our Annual expenses account which must be paid back. So my car which should have been paid off two months from now will probably take a little longer.

This has made me realize that I need to pay my daycare differently. Instead of just leaving the money in there I will transfer it after writing each check. When the check clears I will mark it off. I also need to keep better tabs on the checks. Since this is the only thing I write a check for, I don't pay attention to the numbers or the dates, but this is obviously an issue that I didn't realize.

What most likely happened was one month a check had not cleared and I thought it had so I started my budget over at zero instead of holding that money out. That is a little hard to believe though because that would leave a lot of extra money in my account.... so I am not quite sure what is going on. But, I now see this as an area where I need to make some changes.

So now I have to go back and see what is left to be paid in all categories this month and subtract how much is left in checking to see how much I owe back to my checking account. I will have take that amount out of the savings account and put it back when I get paid next week. I am really frustrated with myself over this, but it just goes to show that I am getting to comfortable with things and not paying attention.

No comments: